Getting to Know Mantate…


M
antate Q. Mlotshwa is the girl of the moment. She is a Senior Program Associate at the International Republican Institute (IRI), Zimbabwe and previously worked as a Programs Associate at Women’s Institute for Leadership Development (WILD). Mantate is also a Psychology student at the University of Zimbabwe. She has on multiple occasions spoken on radio, TV and gatherings on issues relating to the women and youth leadership. Mantate is a lover of Afrocentric fashion. Afrocentric Vibez caught up with her and asked about her life and the many roles she plays in Zimbawe.
The Radical Mantate
A.V: Tell us about yourself.
M.M: My name is Mantate Queeneth Mlotshwa and ngingumtakagogo (I am my grandmother’s child). I was raised by her in Nkulumane, Bulawayo where I also did my Primary school. Above and beyond my name and where I come from, I believe Mantate is a voice of the voiceless. I’m very passionate about issues that affect women, girls and youth. So, in whatever work I do, both where I’m employed as well as on a personal scale,I seek to advance the interests of women, girls and young people. I’m passionate about Afro fashion, blogging and public speaking. I’m excited about travel and the creative arts. All these inspire the different that compound into the Mantate that I am and the aspirations I have for my country and the continent.

A.V: May you describe yourself using 3 words?
M.M: Radical. Unapologetic. Trailblazer.

A.V: Who inspires you?
M.M: The different people that tell me they are proud of me, that they love what I do,  and that they are ready to support me when I do things. That’s where the inspiration comes from because it confirms that what am doing is relevant to the community that I’m trying to serve.

A.V: What motivates you?
M.M: I look at myself and think that I’m bold, I’m not afraid to speak and to start something. I think to myself that it’s not everyone who is like that. We have a lot of girls and youth who are affected by different challenges; that can’t stand where I am, do what I do and speak what I speak. It motivates me because this is my responsibility that God has given me; a gift to speak. The opportunities where I’ve met people that have helped me grow, make me realize that I’m advantaged to do something for those people that can’t do things for themselves.

A.V: What projects are you currently working on? Which project is going to release first in the coming days?
M.M: I’m still wrapping up the #LeadGirls2School Campaign. It’s been one of the most inspiring things for me this month. I wanted to do something that allows me stick to work and school; and yet be able to do something practical that solves a challenge faced by a rural girl. I started #LeadGirls2School and told myself I’m raising school fees and stationery for at least 12 girls for one year that will attend the 7th grade. So, this helps avoid situations whereby the girl child will not be allowed to collect their results when they would have not paid their tuition fees. This project is grooming them for their upcoming examinations like ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level. I can’t say I have anything coming up but I have something that I’m cooking. For now I’m brainstorming the project so it is most likely going to be released in January 2020.

A.V: How do you work under stress and time constraints?
M.M: I think for me it’s issues of balance. I know what I’m expected to do and what to cover every day. For instance, I go to work at 8 a.m. and dismiss at 5 p.m. School starts at 5 p.m. and ends at 8 p.m. On average I arrive at home at 8.30 p.m. during week days. On Saturdays, I am school at from 9 a.m. to 12 noon.  Ideally, that is a packed schedule. It does not give room for anything else. I think if you tell yourself that you need to do things at a certain time on a certain day, it works out if you are consistent. Having people around that are always willing to help especially when I was running the #LeadGirls2School campaign, I opened a line and said I need volunteers and a lot of people came through. It is inspiring to have people around you who are willing to remove the load off you when it’s becoming too much.

A.V: Have you progressed in your career as you had hoped?
M.M: I think I am where I wanted to be, but maybe triple that. I look at myself today; a lot of places I have been to, a lot of the things I have done; they were not on my plan. I didn’t think I could do these things at this time, at this age and this economy. I can safely say I’m in this trajectory that’s taking me exactly where God wants me to be and am grateful for that. Professionally, I work in a space where I do things am passionate about. I’m happy that am working on things that are at the core of my heart. At school, I have a very strong support system, my classmates and lecturers are very supportive. So, I feel like I’m growing both professionally and academically. Being able to do other things on the side; there’s business on the side, side hustles and other projects that I’m in. Everything is building the Mantate that I have always wanted to be.

A.V: How can we support more young people who would be interested in channelling their activism through formal political institutions? 
M.M: I think the biggest challenge in Zimbabwe is political polarization. When people argue on things, they first ask themselves: Am I pro ZANU-PF or MDC or any other party. This already misguides them because you are no longer being objective in the manner in which you were engaging other people and articulating issues. Also, in activism, people should understand that the role of activists or Civil Society Organisations is to bridge the gap between citizens and government. We have a role to help the citizens hold the government accountable and also to push the government to deliver. We are not there to fight the government or to build citizens to continuously fight the government in various political parties. I think if young people want to really channel their activism through political institutions, they should sit down and tell themselves that they are building Zimbabwe; they need to be able to go into these political institutions; show them what they are trying to do and how it benefits everyone. I know with ZANU-Pf it’s a bit difficult, but I feel like one of the reasons why we are failing as young people to reach out to these political parties is because we allow anger to take control of us even when it is justified. So we have the mentality that as young people we are right and the government is wrong. We need to be very subtle and deliberate in the way that we engage political institutions.

A.V: What can parliaments, governments, political parties, and civil society do to increase young women representation in politics? Do you have examples of good practices?
M.M: First of all, I think it cuts across all stakeholders that it shouldn’t be what we discuss only, but let it be something that we institutionalize. If it’s political parties, let it be on paper and in practice that young women are given an opportunity in the different structures available. Someone mentioned on radio that for instance, a lot of political parties have women’s wing and I always ask myself what is the role of young women in that women’s wing. Why are we comfortable being in women’s wings only? We need women to be taking up positions of power in the whole political party because in that way, they are also able to identify young women that they mentor who can take up these positions as well. Civil Societies have a role as well. I know for instance, Women’s Institute for Leadership Development (WILD), runs programs where established female politicians mentor young women. I think it’s good because it gives young women to have an opportunity to see other women doing it. Also, advocating for political parties and government, to prioritize gender issues and opportunities; and to create spaces that are meaningful for women to participate as office holders.

A.V: Tell us about a time when things didn’t go the way you wanted, like a promotion you wanted and didn’t get, or a project that didn’t turn out how you had hoped.
M.M: When I launched #LeadGirls2School Campaign, one of the strongest elements was profiling phenomenal women in Zimbabwe. I had picked 6 Provinces because I want to assist girls from there. I looked for women primarily in Harare and Bulawayo who can help me push the campaign through their various networks as well. The challenge I encountered is that a lot of these established women were not forth coming because they would not respond to my requests. It taught me that the people that matter to you, will look out for you. A majority of the women that I profiled are from Bulawayo, if not all of them. These are women that buy into the Mantate brand and are willing to support my drives. That is encouraging.

A.V: Do you prefer working alone or working with other people, and why?
M.M: I definitely don’t prefer working alone because it’s a lot of work and it’s unnecessary. Now, I’m learning to delegate, bring people into the picture when I’m doing projects, workshops, campaigns, etc. It helps me to shed the load and bring diversity. Some people will be having ideas I wouldn’t have thought of and some individuals with networks that I don’t have. I’m learning to work with other people and it’s working for me.

A.V: What do you do during your spare time?
M.M: I sometimes go for tennis lessons! Sometimes I go for soccer as I’ve gained an interest in it. I hang out with my cousin and girlfriends once in a while. There is not always time for that anyway.

A.V: On what do you spend the most: clothes, accessories, perfumes, or anything else?
M.M: I love shoes! I have more interest in buying shoes than clothes and many other things.

A.V: What is your final advice to the girl child in Zimbabwe that what wants to be like you?
M.M: Where I started, where I am now and where I am going is different. So, don’t feel the pressure to be exactly like Mantate. You can take away from my life the things that you feel can inspire you to build yourself into what you are, uniquely. Half the time we want to be that somebody else and if we fail to live up to that, we feel like we have failed. It doesn’t matter where you are coming from, what you have been through, how much delays there’s been in your life; everything works together for good. Don’t be afraid to start over, to dare, to approach people, to say NO to people, to be unapologetic for the dreams you have; because every one of your dreams are valid. You need to work hard for them and be consistent. Every girl can do it, I am doing it!


Written by Fidelia Ndlovu 
(Publishing Student at the National University of Science and Technology)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The long and short of strong women✍🏽

Your blessing is a curse!