Simply phenomenal! An IRI Generation Democracy experience!

The name just sells the package! Generation Democracy is about participatory leadership. It incorporates a model youth network of passionate leaders who feel not just the obligation but the potential and capacity they have to drive civic engagement and democratic leadership in their individual countries and communities. The cross-cultural dynamics and the intellectual standard of political knowledge exhibitted by the 34 participants from 7 SADC countriess gathered in Johannesburg are simply astounding



                                                                           
When I applied to participate, I was quite nervous about the huge gap between the minimum and maximum age criteria the platform presented. I questioned the relevance of my contribution among a pool of graduates and established youth leaders across multiple disciplines. This was my biggest challenge. However, four days down the line, I feel like I have spent this trainig with people, certainly not of my age, but of a common goal- a Southern Africa characterised by maximum civic engagement and democratic leadership. I have learnt so much about project planning and community engagement  YALI and Mandela Washington Fellows like Khaya Zondo (South Africa) and Gorata Selelo (Botswana). Kudakwashe Munemo (Zimbabwe) and Clement Makuwa (Malawi) helped me understand the policy structures and systems that influence politics and governance in general. Yaseen Carelse (South Africa) gave me great insight on how political campaigns are designed and driven, something I was not quite knowledgeable on. My Zimbabwean Queens, Sichasisile Saiziba, Maureen Kademaunga and Sitabile Dewa humbled me so much with their support and enthusiasm to integrate us into their youth efforts back home in Zimbabwe- I could not have secured such connections and opportunities had i not met tehm here. Benjamin Mwape (Zambia), Rebaone Mmereki (Botswana), Kenneth Msiska (Malawi), Andrew Mdala (Malawi), I cannot posibly refence the energy and support of my fellow participants without appreciating Christopher Chinyati (Zimbabwe), Aston Bumhira (Zimbabwe), Zibusiso Mkwananzi (Zimbabwe) and Jasper Maposa (Zimbabwe). You trusted me to carry Zimbabwe as not only a young person but a young woman. That for me was inspiring. It goes without question that my ladies Nalenhle Moyo (Zimbabwe), Cassandra Moodley (South Africa), Cheila Mutombene (Mozambique)Keletso Mmatli (Botswana), Kelly Kemo Moatlhodi (Botswana), Tlamelo Cindy (Botswana) were just really fired up. They mark the youngest bunch of the whole Generation Democracy crew but that did not stop them. Their passiona and knowledge of democratic leadership is amazing. I am really inspired by their commitment and drive#WoMandla!!! I I have to say that Nangamso Kwinanan (South Africa), Precious Mwila (Zambia), Ephenia Matebane (South Africa), Chiloane Pheladi (South Africa) and Mpho Maena (Lesotho) are on another level. They love young women and they incoporate us in their ideas and networks. I love you guys so much and will grow from knowing you. after this. I did not get the chance to intensively interact with Dalitso Magelegele (Malawi), Cimwemwe Kaonga (Malawi), Tsepo Pitso (Lesotho), Majo Joseph (Mozambique),  Perfect Bheka (South Africa) and Wandisile Mbabalo (South Africa) but tehir contributions to the conference days were not only informative but reflective of a pool of youths who have capacity and the drive to implement change in their comunities. Guys, you were all just amazing.

Lastly, Samson Itodo (Nigeria), Sally Dura (Zimbabwe), Abella Bateyunga (TAnzania) and Yusuf Kiranda (Uganda) were just really phenomenal. You all just gave us an introspective glimpse into the cause that unites us as well as our role in it. With the package you gave us, we will change Africa. Sally, you have this energy and vibe that just inspires me as a young woman who is all about change. Your insights on grassroot organizing were really just amazing. Yusuf, i cannot deny the fact that there was so much truth in your presentation. You were honest about donor funded initiatives and sustaiability strategies. You made us assert really the backdoor view of project planning and that will improve our work. Thank you! My girl Abella you are on fire and I love you. You carried your presentation on Multimedia campaigns and all the time I was just so excited about launching my next campaign so yeah, you go girl!!! Samson, I have to say that you are inspirational. You have your information in your fingertips and you are able to transcend through various subjects with such ease you left us all intrigued. Thank you for modelling campaigns through the #NotTooYoungToRun initiative. I am simply inspired.

Jessie, Lara, Amy, Dafe and Isaac made our experience here an exceptional one. I like that you were all so friendly, enthusiastic and orderly. You were sensitive to people's views while at the same time steering the agenda. Great work guys! Last but not least, I want to pay tribute to the guest speakers, Alonzo Winds, Brian Phipps and Nicholas Wolpe. The experience at Lilliesleaf Farm was a moving journey into our commo identity with South Africa and the need to keep fighting. I enjoyed taking pictures haha!!

I am greatly transformed, thank you!



Comments

  1. Thank you Mantate for the lovely write-up. It was a pleasure meeting you!xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The long and short of strong women✍🏽

Your blessing is a curse!

Getting to Know Mantate…